This Doesn't Happen to Normal People

But what DOES happen to normal people? Email: iamthecoloursapphire@yahoo.com

Monday, April 28, 2003

Well, pah. So I was wrong about the sleepies.
Anyway, I have some...news. Whether it's interesting, amusing, odd, deserved, or whatever depends on how you view the whole thing. Personally, *I* was amused. Stormy doesn't think it's anything to be laughing about.
So the news: I got caught. For the first time in twenty years. And I knew I would but I was like "fuck it, ya never know until you try." So I went into this little mini convenience store to buy beer for the bitch and a coke for myself. And there were these cute little bottles of liquor. And with the mirrors all over I just stuffed a couple into my pockets. Then as I was leaving, one of the clerks had been standing in the door way and she stopped me with "are you going to pay for the ones in your pockets?" Looking her straight in the eyes and smiling I responded with "I wasn't planning on it, no." Then I handed them to her and she just stood there so I asked if she'd rather I pay for them or just give them back. She told me it was up to me and I said that it was okay, I didn't really need them anyway. So she walked past me back into the store. I shrugged and started walking to my car and she turned around to tell my back not to come back. I think she was unaccustomed to someone not feeling shame at getting caught. And by the look on her face and the extra long pause, I think she was VERY taken aback by my blatant "I wasn't planning on it, no." I was very polite and even smiled at her. Maybe she was expecting something else. I'm sure not many people react the same way.
As for how I'M reacting to it...well, I'm kinda amused-both at myself and at her reactions. I kinda feel a little dumb, but also I realize that it just about had to happen, I was being really irresponsible about the whole thing. And it's not even an "I'll know better next time" kinda thing. I knew better THIS time, I just didn't care. I think it's just because I know I'm leaving and I'm getting a little careless. Or, rather, I'm getting a little "I don't give a fuck." But! Once (twice if you count that incident with Stormy, which I don't) in nearly twenty years is a pretty damned good record if I do say so myself. And I didn't freak out or break down or even apologize as I suspected I might if I ever encountered this situation. In fact, I'm STILL pretty proud of myself. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead? LoL. Nah!
Laters