This Doesn't Happen to Normal People

But what DOES happen to normal people? Email: iamthecoloursapphire@yahoo.com

Thursday, October 17, 2002

I wasn't allowed to have Barbies until I was eight years old. Why? My parents thought the female figure was too "mature" for us until then. Despite the fact that I was allowed to play with them at friends' houses. This has had several effects upon my life. One, an introduction into the hypocrisy of my parents. This is actually twofold: that I was allowed at friends' houses and that my little sister got her first Barbie when I turned eight. Two, an introduction into the inane/ridiculous nature of my parents. (Why? They were just Barbies. My daughter already has several-and only slightly as a direct assault on my parents' values.) Three, and perhaps the most serious effect, is that, to compensate for not being able to play with Barbies at an early age, my sister experiments with my hair. Colours, lengths, styles. You name it, she's tried it on me. I don't mind, but it is a direct cause/effect relationship there.
Laters